Print version can be ordered from the The Lebanese Association of Women Researchers - Bahithat
Children’s literature in Lebanon nowadays is characterized by its dynamic development which shows through different traditional and contemporary narrations. Nevertheless, there are a number of factors that prevent the development of innovative children’s literature such as a lack of analytical studies, its quality, the absence of not modern issues (such as gender, conflict, environmental issues etc), and a lack of opportunities to exchange different experiences on the local, regional or international levels.
The idea to publish a book on children’s literature emerged after a conference that was held in Beirut from 12-14 June, 2009, in which writers and illustrators from Lebanon, the Arab world and abroad participated to exchange experiences regarding different work methodologies and to broaden the space for creative work in children’s literature.
The book discussed several issues among them:
- Social and cultural environment in children’s books
- Types of conflicts in children’s literature
- Censorship and its effects on children’s literature
- Representation of family and the space dedicated to it in children’s literature
- Illustrations and the role of imagination in children’s literature
The publication is in both English and Arabic. To order, please click here.
Published by the support of Heinrich Böll Stiftung - Middle East Office